United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) is one of the toughest exams to qualify for medical practice in the United States. For taking up the USMLE there are no specific exam dates, but you have to choose a suitable eligibility period within which you have to take the exam. The exam will be administered only during that period. The USMLE exam is the only way for the MBBS students to pursue their profession in medicine or pursue MD in the USA.
The USMLE examination is conducted in 3 steps. Federation of State Medical Board (FSMB) and the National Board for Medical Examiners (NBME) jointly organize the USMLE.
Eligibility Criteria, steps to schedule exam dates:
Candidates have to fulfill the eligibility criteria for taking the USMLE exam. Every step of the USMLE exam has its eligibility period. After registration, the candidates will get a scheduling permit through which they can schedule their exam date. Each eligibility period will have a variety of slots, but all slots might not be available.
The steps for taking up the USMLE exam are;
Step 1 & Step 2 – CS, CK
- The candidate must be a graduate from a medical school listed under the World Directory of Medical School.
- The candidate has to select a 3-month eligibility period during which they can take the exam.
- On successful registration, you will receive a scheduling permit and the eligibility period.
- Then the candidate needs to visit the Prometric website to schedule the test.
- Candidates may not schedule the exam six months prior.
- Candidates must meet the requirements under the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) criteria.
- Dismissed or dropout candidates from any medical school are not eligible to take the exam.
- It is mandatory to qualify for steps 1 & 2.
- Candidates must possess an ECFMG certificate and an MD degree/equivalent degree from a medical school listed under the World Directory of Medical School.
- A twelve-month eligibility period will be issued.
- After registration, you will receive the scheduling permits and eligibility permits.
- Schedule a test date on the USMLE website.
|USMLE Step 1||USMLE Step 2 Clinical Knowledge||USMLE Step 2 Clinical Skills||USMLE Step 3|
|You can schedule USMLE test date via Prometric Website. Keep 3-month buffer in band for preferable test date. It can be scheduled up to 6 months. Students who fail to appear within scheduled date are required to make fresh application.||You can schedule USMLE test date via Prometric Website. Keep 3-month buffer in band for preferable test date. It can be scheduled up to 6 months. Students who fail to appear for Step 2, within schedule date, are required to make fresh application.||Includes 12-month Eligibility period. Students receive USMLE Exam permit via email. Students who fail to appear within schedule date, are required to make fresh application.||Keep 3-month buffer in band for preferable test date.|
Application Process and Fees:
|Steps||Where to Apply||Fees|
|Step 1||Apply through ECFMG on IWA||$965 (Examination Fee + International Test Delivery Surcharge)|
|Step 2 CK||Apply through ECFMG on IWA||$965 (Examination Fee + International Test Delivery Surcharge)|
|Step 2 CS||Apply through ECFMG on IWA||$1,600 (Examination Fee)|
|Step 3||Apply through FSMB||$895|
Necessary documents required for applying & appearing in USMLE exam are as follows;
- National Identity Card
- Driver’s License with photo
USMLE Exam results are declared within three-four weeks from the test date. Students who are unhappy with their scores can apply for a review. We have to request a score review within 90 after receiving the result. Only the organization you have registered for the USMLE can speed up this process.
Candidates who want to pursue a medical career abroad or those looking for overseas education amid the outbreak of COVID-19, or those who want to sprout their career, can consult the best overseas education consultants. They help you decide and plan your future goals and get admission to top medical colleges in the Philippines, Ukraine, Russia, Bangladesh listed under World Health Organization and National Medical Commission.
You may also read – Best countries to study abroad in 2021